Wednesday, June 22, 2011

More than a memory...

A few days ago, my step-sister Amy gave me a bag of miscellaneous items she had found while cleaning.  The bag was labeled "Samantha's toys from when she was a little girl" in very childish handwriting.  To my great delight, the bag was filled with little tidbits of magic I remember from when I was little. 
Amidst the broken birthday candles, lone earring and broken zipper, I was thrilled to find magnets that had once belonged on my grandmother's refrigerator.  Three little frogs, all perfectly posed in a funny laid back manner, just perfect to tack up on the fridge.  
Funny how you remember something so little like that.  I remember playing with them when I was little.  Of course, I couldn't wait to show them to Waverly. 
She liked them, too! 
We will add them to our collection of magnets on the fridge, and those three little frogs can stay right next to Waverly's butterflies and chicken. 

 In my bag of treasures was a puzzle, one of those slide-the-pieces around type games, of the United States.  I am fairly certain that this particular toy came from Perryville, during one of our long-ago family reunions. 

Also, there was a little frog that kicked his legs when you wound him up, a plastic toy hat that fit an action figure of some kind, a small piece of plastic fruit that must have come from a fake plant arrangement and a blue plastic ring.  There was a small owl magnet that I swear came from my great grandmother's originally. 

Its funny how things catch you off guard and remind you of loved ones.  My grandmother has been gone from us for several years, but I still think of her often and miss her more each day.  It was nice to find unexpected memories and share them with Waverly.

Waverly has also become very taken with this baby doll that was mine when I was little.  I'm sure all kids of the 80's remember water babies.  I had quite a collection! 

Waverly loves this baby doll in particular, so I let her keep it.  I remember it being a favorite of mine as well. 

Your presence I miss,
Your memory I treasure,
Loving you always,
Forgetting you never.
*Author Unknown

*If any family members have a picture of Mamaw Dorothy or Mamaw Rarely, please scan and email to me.  Thanks!

No comments: