Friday, September 2, 2011

Just like patchwork...

Once we learned that Baby Bean is a boy, I began sorting through all of the clothes and items that were Waverly's as an infant.  I kept everything!  Especially clothes... all outfits that were in good condition were stored according to size.  Piles and piles of clothes! 

While speaking with my friend, I offered to pull some of the baby clothes out for her little girl.  She promptly told me to hang onto everything, and to one day, make a quilt out of the clothes for Waverly.  What a wonderful idea!

With Mamaw Jean instructing, I immediately set to work!  I chose all of my favorite outfits that Waverly wore.  What sweet baby clothes!  When I look at this quilt, here are some of the memories I will recall...


After selecting the outfits I was willing to part with for this first quilting experience, Mamaw Jean taught me how to measure and cut out the quilting squares.  We decided to make 4x4 inch squares, and at least 80 squares for a decent size throw quilt.  To work I went!
This is what at least 25 baby outfits look like when cut into quilting squares and all stacked up!  Next step, please!

We laid all of the squares out to determine a pattern, or since this is known as a crazy quilt, a lack of pattern.  Then all the squares were neatly stacked according to columns of 10, rows of 8.  And the sewing began!


The first two squares! 

The first column of 10!

And from there, well, its just more sewing!  Each of the squares were sewn to the next square until I had 8 columns, or 10 rows, or squares!  Then, it was time to sew the columns together, matching square by square to fit the rows in place. 

The first two columns sewn together!
And from there, continue sewing all the rows together!

This is where we currently stand, with all the rows sewn together. 

Hopefully, we will work on the border and backing this weekend! 

It has been so much fun working on the quilt.  Waverly loves it, already!  She will take it from me, spread it out and lay down, telling all "night-night!"  This may be the first of many quilts to come!


No comments: